April 24, 2024, 12:11:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ideal gas equation  (Read 861 times)

Offline Wanderlusion

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Ideal gas equation
« on: June 03, 2019, 10:51:29 AM »
Hi, I am new here and have my exams coming up!

I understand simple PV = nRT questions when they’re to do with just one gas or finding the moles of gases produced but I’m confused by what n actually means. I know it’s ‘number of moles’ but moles of what? Is it always referring to total number of moles of gases reacting or does it’s usage depend on the question?

I get confused with questions when there are multiple gases reacting and I’m asked to find the volume or pressure of just one gas produced.

Any help appreciated, thanks :)

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Ideal gas equation
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 01:42:41 PM »
In the ideal gas approximation, gasses are treated as non-reacting and identical, so it doesn't matter if it's a single gas in a container or a mixture of gasses. n in either case is the total number of moles of gas. Because the partial pressures are additive, you can also treat each gas separately. The implication is that the partial pressure of the gas, for a mixture of ideal gasses, scales with the respective mole fraction.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links