Specialty Chemistry Forums > Chemical Engineering Forum

Question about mixing hydrochloric acid with sodium hypochlorite

(1/1)

emc2kh:
Hello all. I was wondering if anyone could point out any problems with what I want to do. I have no chemistry background so please excuse me if I use the wrong terminology. I have been feeding NaClO(10% concentration I think) into my swimming pool via a tube connected to a fitting on the suction side of my system before my pump for a while now. The problem is crystals eventually start to form in the fitting where the water touches the NaClO and slowly block the flow. I want to put a "Y" fitting in and start feeding both NaCLO and pool acid (14.5% concentration I think) through that "Y" fitting to accomplish 2 things. To regulate the pH of my pool and to clean out those crystals. The tubing is HDPE and the "Y" fitting will be Polypropylene. Will anything bad happen where those 2 chemicals touch each other in the fitting? I appreciate any help.

Borek:
Mixing relatively concentrated solutions of HCl and hypochlorite (no matter what the material the fitting is made of) is a dangerous idea, as they will react vigorously producing heat and free chlorine.

emc2kh:
Okay, I guess I will add another fitting somewhere else so they are feeding in separate places at separate times. Thanks.

ioncube:

--- Quote from: emc2kh on May 31, 2019, 04:58:38 PM ---The problem is crystals eventually start to form in the fitting where the water touches the NaClO and slowly block the flow.

--- End quote ---

What is the temperature of water when you feed NaOCl? Add some amount of NaOH in NaOCl before feeding to reduce those crystals

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version