March 28, 2024, 02:34:11 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: deionized water  (Read 12416 times)

jillrae

deionized water
« on: August 25, 2004, 01:41:29 PM »
can you tell me what effects that deionized water has on the skin, both positive and negative?

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
Re:deionized water
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 05:32:28 PM »
Do you mean the difference between deionized and tap water?  Tap water can be slightly acidic or basic, depending on where in the country you are, but it also has some minerals that can be beneficial to the body.  Deionized water has nothing but water (theoretically).  On the skin, I doubt it would have any difference.  If you're talking about soaps, on the other hand, deionized won't lather normal lye based soaps; it needs sulfate surfactants to do that.  Deionized would be considred 'soft' water, while tap water with all of its ions would be considered 'hard' water.  I hope this answers your question.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 01:40:55 AM »
Don't drink deionized water. There are no electrolytes in the water so guess where there going to come from if you injest it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2004, 12:36:12 PM by Mitch »
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2004, 10:02:54 AM »
For a more complete and accurate information on distilled, deionized, and tap water look at the Apr 22, 2002 entry under this link http://www.finishing.com/138/06.html at the bottom. The upper entries on that web page have more errors, inconsistencies, or incompleteness. The above answers in this thread are also incomplete if not inaccurate. So go to the link and scroll down to Apr 2, 2002 and read. My only quibble with the entry made by Dale Woika of Surface Conversion Sciences - Bellefonte, PA, US is that there is a difference between deionized water that has been distilled first and deionized water that uses tap water which is not explained completely. Please also note that the claim of dire effects when drinking distilled or deionized water may be a myth. I have seen both pro and con on the Internet that is mostly hype selling something.
Regards,
Bill

Sponsored Links