Chemistry Forums for Students > Undergraduate General Chemistry Forum

Law of Conservation of Energy

(1/2) > >>

skitty:
An incandescent light bulb functions b/c of the flow of electric current. Does the the light bulb convert all of the electrical energy to light? Observe a functioning incandescent light bulb, and explain what occurs with reference to the Law of Conservation of Energy?

Okay, let me see if I got this right: Yes, all of the energy is converted to light b/c the Law of Conservation of Energy states that energy cannot be created nor destroyed in a chemical reaction (non-nuclear)  or in a physical change; it can only be converted from one for to another.  Right answer?
Thanks.

Demotivator:
Hmm,  so you're saying that not heat is produced by the light bulb?

skitty:
Yes, the light bulb produces heat.  And now I'm more confused than ever on something so fundamental.. :-[

Demotivator:
Well, heat is also energy.  Most of the electric  current produces heat because wires like the  filament  have resistance to electric current. heat is enough to make the filament "white hot" emitting  some of the energy as light.
So, energy is conserved, but two forms of it are produced.

skitty:
 ;D Thanks! Okay one more question: What is an example of The law of Conservation of Matter and Energy? I've picked my brain and ouch! it hurts. I know the answer is obvious and I can't see it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version