April 29, 2024, 03:50:24 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemistry at Sussex  (Read 11341 times)

Offline ehunter

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chemistry at Sussex
« on: August 01, 2006, 03:52:00 PM »
I've been looking up Chemistry degrees lately, namely MChem. I thought that Sussex looked quite good although it was meant to be closing its chemistry department. While I will be able to apply there for 2007 entry, I'm not sure how long the the deparment will be open for and whether it is wise to apply there. Does anybody know anything about this?

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re: Chemistry at Sussex
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 05:43:41 AM »
MChem is listed in the 2007 Prospectus.

I am just wondering if they have enough facilities to support the chemistry program.

After-all, their MChem program is offered by the School of Life Science, not a department of chemistry.

I think you should pay them a visit or ring them up. Brighton is a beautiful seaside town too.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Albert

• Lonely Wanderer
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +112/-22
  • Half Decent Pharmaceutical Chemist
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 05:47:05 AM »
Brighton is a beautiful seaside town too.

If I were you, ehunter, I would follow this advice.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 06:00:00 AM »
After-all, their MChem program is offered by the School of Life Science, not a department of chemistry.

I don't think that's necessarily a problem, my Chemistry course is offered by the School of natural sciences - department of chemistry is just a department of it.

The best thing to do is, as Geo said, ring them, definately visit at some point and talk to the students. The University want your money and are not going to turn around and say, "yeah, actually the facilities here are pretty poor."

Also, seeing as you get 6 choices, you may as well apply - you can always decline an offer later.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Will

• Organic Dude
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-2
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 11:42:45 AM »
Also, seeing as you get 6 choices, you may as well apply - you can always decline an offer later.

That's exactly what I did! I applied for Sussex and it seemed like a really great university with a very good chemistry department. I thought the head of chem there was also a great guy and the students had only good things to say about the department. Also when I went there to see the university after I applied they give you loads of free stuff including Chemistry Top Trumps cards ;D.

Sussex should definately be one you apply for out of your 6, as well as Imperial College London. I wouldn't bother with UCL though; didn't like the look of it there. As Dan said- you have 6 choices (or more if you apply internationally!) and Sussex is a good choice- they seem commited to chem there and I don't think you need to worry about the department closing, although I have heard they are a bit short of cash there!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 12:18:58 PM »
First hits from Google when searching for closing sussex chemistry department:

http://live.cgcu.net/news/1185

http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/News/2006/July/25070604.asp

Note I have no idea how the situation looks alike, I just happen to remember Sussex Chemistry closure thread.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 12:41:13 PM »
Note I have no idea how the situation looks alike, I just happen to remember Sussex Chemistry closure thread.

That's why i am quite doubtful about their chemical facilities.

When I do chemistry experiments at Imperial College, I can break as many glass apparatus as I want. Replacement is free - just get a new set from the technician. There is also free flow of organic and mineral acid, organic solvents and various oxidising and reducing agents.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 12:51:31 PM »

I have in mind some good chemistry departments in the UK.

1. Oxford
2. Imperial College
3. Durham

Sponsored Links