March 28, 2024, 01:15:04 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Photo Chemsitry  (Read 1059 times)

Offline AlphaMNKY

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Photo Chemsitry
« on: June 11, 2019, 10:35:42 PM »
Currently working on a final project and I am tasked at teaching the topic of photo chemistry.

My main problem right now is finding any resources that I can understand with my level of knowledge (Grade 12)

Was wondering what exactly is photo chemistry and if anyone can explain how the reactions work (preferably an example).

Also any links/videos that are good at explaining the concept?

Offline David Tan

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
  • I am a Chemistry teacher + author.
    • A & O Level Chemistry (Master's degree + Chemistry book author)
Re: Photo Chemsitry
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 04:26:10 PM »
Photochemistry is the branch of chemistry concerned with the chemical effects of light.
You may want to start with fluorescence and phosphorescence. For example, if you switch off the light in a room, some clocks would show fluorescence and phosphorescence. Its mechanism has to do with the excitation of electrons. Hope it helps.
www.chemistry-tutorial.com
A Level Chemistry Teacher
Master's degree in Chemistry from National University of Singapore

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Photo Chemsitry
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 03:37:24 PM »
To be pedantic, fluorescence and phosphorescence are not photochemical processes, since they involve no chemical reaction. Photochemistry refers to processes like, e.g., photo-oxidation or photosynthesis.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links