March 28, 2024, 04:39:01 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Would Cu1 or Cu2 oral supplementation be most likely to aid lysyl oxidase (LOX  (Read 1919 times)

Offline MikeMG

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Forgive the basic question, I'm not a biochemist but am interested in understanding the below:

LOX is said to be key for interlinking collagen & elastin. 

At the same time, I've seen it said that Cu1 supplements are more bioavailable than Cu2 supplements, due to Cu1, having 28 electrons & so an electron to donate, which it then loses within the cell after passing through the cellular membrane. Thus I've read the Cu1 is a functional copper.

However, I note here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/biochemistry-genetics-and-molecular-biology/lysyl-oxidase that:

"LOX needs two cofactors, Cu2+ and a unique covalently integrated organic cofactor identified as lysine tyrosylquinone (LTQ)" 

Does this mean a that a Cu2 supplement would be more suitable as regards increasing LOX activity in vivo, or would Cu1 still be recommended? (there's a brand of supplements selling Cu1 specifically, but I'm not mentioning the name, as not trying to advertise them! Just trying to understand the relationship between supplementation of Cu1, Cu2, Cu1 & Cu2 in the body, and LOX.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links