March 28, 2024, 05:16:33 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Any science teachers out there?  (Read 1860 times)

heckindale

Any science teachers out there?
« on: June 18, 2019, 12:22:44 AM »
I'm going into my first year of uni. this year, studying a double degree in science and teaching, majoring in chemistry and minoring in biology. If you're reading this and you're a teacher; if you could pass some advice onto your past self, what would it be? Any do's and don't's? Is it the same as what you expected it would be? What keeps you motivated?

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re: Any science teachers out there?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 11:37:32 AM »
I'm not a science teacher, but I wanted to wish you good luck. :)
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

heckindale

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 07:08:33 PM »
Thanks Mitch!  :)

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 10:26:46 AM »
Not a teacher but have done a lot of teaching at the University level. My number one piece of advice, which really extends beyond teaching, is to learn to be candid about the limits of your knowledge to whoever you are trying to educate. Your students will respect you more and you'll find they'll be much more receptive to what you're trying to tell them as a result. In my experience, teachers are usually students, too.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline David Tan

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
  • I am a Chemistry teacher + author.
    • A & O Level Chemistry (Master's degree + Chemistry book author)
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 04:23:31 PM »
I'm going into my first year of uni. this year, studying a double degree in science and teaching, majoring in chemistry and minoring in biology. If you're reading this and you're a teacher; if you could pass some advice onto your past self, what would it be? Any do's and don't's? Is it the same as what you expected it would be? What keeps you motivated?

I am an 'A' level Chemistry teacher and I have taught a few undergraduate modules at the university level in the past, while doing my Masters. My advice to you is to enjoy the learning process and don't assume that you know everything, even if you are the lecturer. Be flexible, be resourceful and be self-reliant. All the best. Cheers.
www.chemistry-tutorial.com
A Level Chemistry Teacher
Master's degree in Chemistry from National University of Singapore

Sponsored Links