March 28, 2024, 11:22:48 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How do I prepare solution that is mixture of 5% NaCl and 99.9% Acetic Acid?  (Read 1140 times)

Offline allbright1747

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How do I prepare a solution that is a mixture of 5% NaCl and 99.9% acetic acid so that the final volume of mixture is 2.5 liters and final pH is 3.2?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
It is a forum rule that you must show us your work before we can help you.  Let me ask for some clarification.  I would interpret 5% NaCl to mean its final strength.  I would also interpret this to be an aqueous solution that was prepared from some volume of concentrated acetic acid and some volume of water.  Is that your understanding?

Offline allbright1747

Yes, final strength is 5% NaCl and it is an aqueous solution prepared from concentrated acetic acid, water and NaCl. So far I have converted percent into molar. I calculated that the 99.9% concentrated acetic acid is 17.34 M and the 5% NaCl solution to be 0.855 M. Right now I'm having difficulty figuring out how to calculate the volume I would need of both the 17.34 M acetic acid and 0.855 M NaCl solution so that if I mixed them together I would end up with 2.5 L of a 0.04 M solution. My plan was to make out the NaCl solution first, which I know how to do I just don't know how much of it to make up, and then add the concentrated acetic acid to this until mixture reached 2.5 L.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
I think you are misreading the question. You can make solution that is either 99.9% acetic acid or a solution that has pH of 3.2, it can't be both at the same time.

Not to mention the fact that solution can't be both 5% in NaCl and 99.9% in acetic acid, fractions must sum up to 100%.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
@OP, I interpret the question to mean that the final concentration of NaCl is 5%.  I also interpret the question to mean that 99.9% acetic acid is something that one starts with.  One must use the final pH to decide how much acetic acid to use.

Offline allbright1747

Yes, you're right I did misread it. It is asking to make up a 5% NaCl solution then adding a 0.04 M acetic acid solution to it.

Offline allbright1747

alright thanks guys that clarifies everything :)

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
There is one complication, namely that the apparent pKa of acetic acid is a function of ionic strength.  That may not be a concern, however.

Sponsored Links