April 20, 2024, 06:16:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question about mixing hydrochloric acid with sodium hypochlorite  (Read 2443 times)

Offline emc2kh

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello all. I was wondering if anyone could point out any problems with what I want to do. I have no chemistry background so please excuse me if I use the wrong terminology. I have been feeding NaClO(10% concentration I think) into my swimming pool via a tube connected to a fitting on the suction side of my system before my pump for a while now. The problem is crystals eventually start to form in the fitting where the water touches the NaClO and slowly block the flow. I want to put a "Y" fitting in and start feeding both NaCLO and pool acid (14.5% concentration I think) through that "Y" fitting to accomplish 2 things. To regulate the pH of my pool and to clean out those crystals. The tubing is HDPE and the "Y" fitting will be Polypropylene. Will anything bad happen where those 2 chemicals touch each other in the fitting? I appreciate any help.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Question about mixing hydrochloric acid with sodium hypochlorite
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 03:35:52 AM »
Mixing relatively concentrated solutions of HCl and hypochlorite (no matter what the material the fitting is made of) is a dangerous idea, as they will react vigorously producing heat and free chlorine.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline emc2kh

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 11:58:29 AM »
Okay, I guess I will add another fitting somewhere else so they are feeding in separate places at separate times. Thanks.

Offline ioncube

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 01:34:04 PM »
The problem is crystals eventually start to form in the fitting where the water touches the NaClO and slowly block the flow.

What is the temperature of water when you feed NaOCl? Add some amount of NaOH in NaOCl before feeding to reduce those crystals

Sponsored Links