March 28, 2024, 01:45:27 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question about beta oxidation  (Read 1549 times)

ash111sx

Question about beta oxidation
« on: June 26, 2019, 08:53:13 AM »
Hi, I have an exercise about beta oxidation but I don't really know how to obtain the result(s). Can someone help me to understand it?

If CoASH has a molecular weight of 768, a complete beta oxidation of 8 mg of palmitoyl CoA produces about:
a- 7.95 10^-6 moles of FADH2
b- 7,95 10^-6 moles of NADH
c- 6,35 10^-5 moles of acetilCoA
d- 7.95 10^-6 moles of H2O
e- 52 mg of acetilCoA

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
Re: Question about beta oxidation
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 10:22:25 AM »
Start by writing the balanced oxidation for the complete β-oxidation of palmitoyl CoA to its products.  You can figure out what the products are based on the answers below, but you will still need the stoichiometric coefficients.  Unless I miscounted, there should be seven rounds of β-oxidation, and each round consists of four reactions.  There is no need to write out each step IMO.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
Re: Question about beta oxidation
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 12:55:55 PM »
It is a Forum Rule (see red link) that you must show your attempt at solving a problem before we can help you.  I will give you a hint:  One can infer the unbalanced equation for β-oxidation from the answers a through e that you gave, although water is a reactant and protons are given off (see below).  There are many ways to balance it, the easiest being to look it up in a reputable source, such as a textbook.  One could also use the oxidation numbers of the carbon atoms, which might be a good exercise.

Palmitoyl CoA + NAD + FAD + CoA + H2O :rarrow: Acetyl CoA + NADH + FADH2 + H+

Sponsored Links