March 29, 2024, 08:00:20 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Looking for material to study organic chemistry for an exam  (Read 1652 times)

Offline DeltaAccel

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello, I'm soon taking an exam and looking at questions from previous years, well, the organic chemistry ones are unlike anything I've seen before in High School. I started studying by Chang's Chemistry, yet as I've progressed along the chapters I've found that I'm still unable to answer the questions from the exam. Here's a picture of some sample questions I may encounter:

https://imgur.com/a/HGNaYtB

I'm mainly looking for a book you consider is good for studying this kind of material at a basic level. Thanks.

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: Looking for material to study organic chemistry for an exam
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 03:57:05 PM »
You asked the same question in the other forum already. Are you not satiesfied with the answers?

Offline DeltaAccel

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 03:58:22 PM »
This is the first time I ask this question, but if someone's asked it already I'd be more than happy to check out the answers if you'll give me the link

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22

Offline DeltaAccel

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 04:05:26 PM »
That was not me, but it's an exam for a popular scholarship so it's not weird that someone else is struggling with it. The answers are helpful, but I'm looking for a textbook to study; otherwise I might get these right and others wrong. Do you have any recommendations yourself?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 04:24:54 PM »
Chemistry by Raymond Chang is a general chemistry textbook, but the problems you are studying fall into the discipline of organic chemistry.  Two well-known organic chemistry textbooks are by McMurry and by Klein, respectively.  Klein tends to be wordy, but some of his presentations are more thorough than McMurry.  There are many other textbooks that I suspect are just as good.

Offline DeltaAccel

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 04:48:52 PM »
Thanks a lot, I'll check them out!

Sponsored Links