March 28, 2024, 06:55:35 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How independent are undergrads expected to be in research?  (Read 1070 times)

Offline coolman50544

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
How independent are undergrads expected to be in research?
« on: July 02, 2019, 10:21:31 PM »
How independent are undergrads expected to be in research if they wish to attend well respected graduate schools? Are undergrads generally expected to come up with their own research ideas? If so, is this to the extent of coming up with entirely new, novel projects on their own?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: How independent are undergrads expected to be in research?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 09:21:19 AM »
Not very independent.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 12:47:07 PM »
It would be unrealistic to expect undergraduates to come up with entirely new project.  They should concentrate on doing their assigned project well IMO, and that certainly includes writing up an accurate and detailed report.

Offline OrganicDan96

• Mole Snacks: +20/-1
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 05:59:45 PM »
undergrads should stick to their own project but they should be allowed to come up with ideas for their project if they want and test the with the support of their supervisor. supervision should not be too restrictive IMO. When I was an undergrad I had a lot of guidance but I was also allowed to use some of my own ideas with great success.

Sponsored Links