March 19, 2024, 07:21:08 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: A collection of a beginner's question  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Baseband

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
A collection of a beginner's question
« on: July 09, 2019, 12:17:17 AM »
Hey! First I just wanna mention that english isn't my first language, and trying to translate the "chemical lingo" which I don't even yet master at my own language doesn't make it easier..

I am going to study chemistry during this fall, it's 2 high school-level coarses, so it is chemistry in a very general manner, not analytical/organic/whatever, just chemistry.

Questions

1. Is the base component of an alloy always a metal? Or could the term apply to a combination of e.g. one element that isn't a metal but serves as the base component, + a metal/a "none-metal"-element?

2. Does quartz only consist of SiO2? Or is the mineral some kind of mixture that primarily consists of SiO2 but not necessarily exclusively SiO2?

3. What do you call SiO2 in English? Lol.

4.  My chemistry book taught me that all elements in the same group (in the periodic table) has the same number of valence electrons, provided that the element is included in one of the "main groups" (1-2 and 13-18 I think). Does this rule also apply to other groups in the periodic table or are there exceptions?

Ok, there will be more questions later on but I have to take a break because of all the translation haha! I'm fatigued... I hope I didn't break any rules or anything. If any of you have a simple question you believe would fit this topic then go ahead and ask, the answers doesn't necessarily have to be answers :)

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: A collection of a beginner's question
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 02:16:31 AM »
1. Wikipedia - ferrosilicon
2. Wikipedia - quartz and for example amethyst
3. Wikipedia - silicon dioxide
4. Wikipedia - electron configuration of the elements - see elements, eg. 24 and 29

Read also carefully your textbook
AWK

Offline Baseband

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: A collection of a beginner's question
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 04:01:46 AM »
1. Wikipedia - ferrosilicon
2. Wikipedia - quartz and for example amethyst
3. Wikipedia - silicon dioxide
4. Wikipedia - electron configuration of the elements - see elements, eg. 24 and 29

Read also carefully your textbook

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I think whoever wrote my textbook has just made some examples without explaining them (like the quartz one), just to show the reader that anything is chemistry. All of my questions are things I don't need to know for any tests, I'm just curious of how everything works :)

Anyway, thanks for the sources, I will read up on them and if I have any questions I'll return to this thread.

Sponsored Links