March 28, 2024, 07:23:44 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Organic Chem 1 lab after two years w/o being in a chemistry lab  (Read 988 times)

Offline plotdavis

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I just registered for Ochem 1 lab in my Sophomore year of college. I tested out of gen chem with AP, and we didn't really do that many labs. I know how to use basic equipment like pipettes, test tubes, etc. but I completely forgot how to operate all the analytical devices we used, like the spectrophotometer for the Beer's law lab. So I have very little experience with chemistry labs and the syllabus makes it seem like we need to already know how to operate the lab equipment in ochem. This seems reasonable since most people take the gen chem lab the year before organic chem, but it may be a problem for me. Do they teach you how to use the lab equipment from the ground up again? What can I do to solve this problem?

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: Organic Chem 1 lab after two years w/o being in a chemistry lab
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 11:04:12 AM »
You should know or learn the principles of the analytical machines. In the Lab I think there will  be supervisor who will show you the buttons to push.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Organic Chem 1 lab after two years w/o being in a chemistry lab
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 12:44:00 PM »
You won't have a problem.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links