April 18, 2024, 04:13:07 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: absolute 0 for entropy  (Read 5361 times)

Offline rleung

• Mole Snacks: +5/-5
  • I'm a mole!
absolute 0 for entropy
« on: August 15, 2006, 03:11:25 AM »
Hi,

I'm wondering whether you can consider the 0 entropy that is present in a perfect crystal at 0-K absolute zero?  I always thought that that was absolute zero for entropy, but another chemistry review book says that absolute zero doesn't exist for it.  Thanks.

Ryan

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
Re: absolute 0 for entropy
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 09:21:51 AM »
maybe what the book is trying to say that a perfect crystal at absolute zero does not exist? not sure..
one learns best by teaching

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 09:55:53 PM »
Considering classical system, there is indeed an absolute zero for entropy. However, if you were to take in account of the quantum mechanics, then you would realise that even the zero-point energy of the system is non-zero. Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle requires there is variation of energy level of the quantum states even at 0K.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Hispania

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
  • Senatus Populus Que Romanus
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 03:42:52 PM »
I'm wondering whether you can consider the 0 entropy that is present in a perfect crystal at 0-K absolute zero?  I always thought that that was absolute zero for entropy, but another chemistry review book says that absolute zero doesn't exist for it. 

The 0 K (-273 ºC or absolute zero) is impossible to approach. So I imagine that 0 entropy is imposible as well.

Sponsored Links