March 28, 2024, 09:28:53 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How much/what physics for a course of physical chemistry in quantum mechanics?  (Read 1489 times)

Offline coolman50544

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
How much/what physics do I need to know to be prepared for physical chemistry course in quantum mechanics?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
You won't need much in the way of formal physics outside of being familiar with concepts like angular momentum, forces, energy and so forth. Strong math background is much more important, particularly working knowledge of vectors, multivariable calculus, polar coordinates and (bonus) differential equations or linear algebra. Most pchem courses include instruction in these areas where necessary but you'll struggle less if you already know how to do a lot of that stuff.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Online Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
I agree with Corribus.  The only thing that I would add is that one should have a positive attitude about learning new mathematics, or at least one should not let unfamiliar mathematical concepts become a barrier to learning.

Sponsored Links