Chemistry Forums for Students > High School Chemistry Forum

Why does N get positive charge on it in NH4+ ion?

(1/2) > >>

IBM:
Why does N get positive charge on it in NH4+ as I know that atom has fixed proton number, there is no change? N has 7 protons in the neutral state but when H+ comes to N and accepts two lone paired electrons of N, N becomes N to N+ why?
My question is if N has 7 protons fixed and no matter what reaction happens the number of protons does not change but why N got positive charge after the H+ receives two lone paired electrons of N? How H+ ion can combine to the protons of N and produce N+? I am confused. Explain it, please.

Borek:
You are mistaking charge of the whole entity (NH4+) with charge on the N atom. In NH4+ the latter doesn't make much sense, it is whole ion that matters, and its total charge depends on the number of protons (both in N and in four H) and number electrons from all sources.

Count protons, count electrons. What do you get?

IBM:

--- Quote from: Borek on July 23, 2019, 03:05:24 PM ---You are mistaking charge of the whole entity (NH4+) with the charge on the N atom. In NH4+ the latter doesn't make much sense, it is the whole ion that matters, and its total charge depends on the number of protons (both in N and in four H) and number electrons from all sources.

Count protons, count electrons. What do you get?

--- End quote ---
10 electrons and 11 protons. Could you discuss the charge on the whole entity vs the charge on the individual atoms with examples, please? Here are CH3+ and NH4+. I just learned that the charge on NH4+ is the charge on the whole entity but what's about CH3+?

Borek:

--- Quote from: IBM on July 23, 2019, 09:24:34 PM ---10 electrons and 11 protons.
--- End quote ---

So what is the resulting charge?

chenbeier:

--- Quote --- what's about CH3+?
--- End quote ---

It is the same method: Carbon has 6 protons, each Hydrogen has 1 gives 9 Protons total. The number of electrons are 5 for Carbon and 3 for all Hydrogen gives 8.

So you have 9 Protons and 8 Electrons so what is the charge?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version