April 29, 2024, 11:08:14 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Looking for Some Butyric Acid  (Read 20892 times)

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Looking for Some Butyric Acid
« on: August 15, 2006, 09:01:46 PM »
I'm currently looking for butyric acid. Does anyone know where I can get some, or of a way to liberate some from butter and purify it?

The reason I want butyric acid is to make methyl butyrate, and possibly other esters with it. Since I'm using it to make esters I'd prefer it do be highly concentrated.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Will

• Organic Dude
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-2
Re: Looking for Some Butyric Acid
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 09:33:11 PM »
This is probably a rubbish temporary solution, but butan-1-ol is quite easy to get as a solvent (see uses in wikipedia), so you could oxidise that (not with acidified dichromate or alkaline permanganate though). I am not sure of the best way to purify the butyric acid- maybe precipitate Ca salt (less soluble in hot water apparently) and/or distillation.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 03:45:43 AM »
Gamma hydroxy?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 10:01:58 PM »
I'm sorry Borek, but I don't understand your comment.

Thanks though for your replies Will and Borek. I was thinking the Ca salt idea, only problem with that is I don't have CaOH yet. I just need so money to go buy some.

Does anyone know of anything that contains more butyric acid than butter?
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 03:11:36 AM »
I'm sorry Borek, but I don't understand your comment.

http://www.googleityoumoron.com ;)

Gamma hydroxy butyric acid or GHB.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 12:54:47 AM »
You know, till now, I never knew what GHB stood for. I knew what it was though.

No, I only want regular butyric acid for esterification and esterification only.

P.S. When ever you use the googleityoumouron.com website you should hide in the url tags. {url=http://www.googleityoumouron.com}here{url} would be the code. Just substitute { for [ and } for ].

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 02:57:52 AM »
P.S. When ever you use the googleityoumouron.com website you should hide in the url tags. {url=http://www.googleityoumouron.com}here{url} would be the code. Just substitute { for [ and } for ].

Wow, thank you for the lesson ;)

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 04:56:56 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butyric_acid

I find wikipedia friendlier than monster Google

I guess it would be easier to go to the vitamin store for this

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 10:18:06 PM »
Quote from: wikipedia
It is ordinarily prepared by the fermentation of sugar or starch, brought about by the addition of putrefying cheese, with calcium carbonate added to neutralize the acids formed in the process. The butyric fermentation of starch is aided by the direct addition of Bacillus subtilis.

The acid is an oily colorless liquid that solidifies at -8 °C; it boils at 164 °C. It is easily soluble in water, ethanol and ether, and is thrown out of its aqueous solution by the addition of calcium chloride. The calcium salt, Ca(C4H7O2)2·H2O, is less soluble in hot water than in cold.

The idea of synthesizing this by fermentation sounds kind of fun.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 10:32:43 PM »
I may in the future want to make cellulose acetate butyrate. I think it would be a nice challenge to use the products of fermentation like vinegar and putrefying cheese to make natural plastic.

I wonder what the original poster wanted to do with the Butyric Acid?

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 05:29:36 PM »
The reason I want butyric acid is to make methyl butyrate, and possibly other esters with it. Since I'm using it to make esters I'd prefer it do be highly concentrated.

Hmmm billnotgatez, I wonder what he wanted to with it? ;)

Your idea sounds cool, too.

If I had the bacteria cultures, I would gladly give a shot at fermentation. Reading it now though, it sounds like the putrefying cheese gives me the bacteria I need though.

Sponsored Links