I hope this is the right place to ask. I am an occasional rock climber and some months ago, I left my nylon climbing rope, along with some dyneema/spectra slings, on a table in my basement maybe six feet away from a shelf containing a closed bottle of drain cleaner, MARC 55 Heavy Duty Drain Cleaner, which contains "inhibited concentrated virgin-type sulfuric acid, over 90%". I got the idea later that it might be possible for a bit of acid to evaporate from the container and possibly damage materials nearby. I know that nylon is highly vulnerable to sulfuric acid. Once this worry occurred to me, I checked to see how tight the bottle was. It was tight enough not to leak at all when inverted, but when I opened it, it took very little effort to do so. So I am not sure if anything could have been evaporating.
The basement is fairly large, so any vapors should have diffused over a fairly large volume. And the bottle is at a position higher than the rope.
Any reason for me to think my rope might now be unsafe? Or am I just being excessively paranoid?
I'd appreciate any thoughts on the matter!