Specialty Chemistry Forums > Chemical Education and Careers

My supervisor acts weird on the authorship of my paper

<< < (3/3)

blackcat:

--- Quote from: wildfyr on September 23, 2019, 02:53:07 PM ---Excellent news! How did things shake out that you got your way?

--- End quote ---

Hmmm, I really confronted him via emails (but politely) mentioning this is unfair and what I have done for the paper which makes me deserve being the first author. Well, my emails to him are really straight-forward (but polite) and one can feel great anger (maybe I have low emotional intelligence, hahahaha!!!)

I even emailed secretly the HR asking if I need notice period to quit the job immediately and probably the HR informed my supervisor about this. Finally my supervisor sent me an "apology" email.

My supervisor just needs me to finish the work for the paper and (maybe) he did not expect me to have such vigorous reaction (because I am normally pretty quiet/reserved/mannered person). What he did not know is that my biggest pet peeve is having MY stuff being taken by someone else unfairly.

The paper has been now submitted to a high-impact journal (IF > 9) and the comments from the referees are pretty promising. My current relationship with my supervisor is seemingly good.

My contract ends on 30-Sep and this is my last week. I am now heading Switzerland for a permanent chemist job.

wildfyr:
Excellent, way to stand up for yourself! There's a fine line between being a good self-advocate and coming off like a jerk, and seems like you hit the sweet spot.

jeffmoonchop:
The supervisor should want to be placed as the last author, as it shows that the work came from a group he/she is supervising.

blackcat:

--- Quote from: wildfyr on September 24, 2019, 01:40:24 PM ---Excellent, way to stand up for yourself! There's a fine line between being a good self-advocate and coming off like a jerk, and seems like you hit the sweet spot.

--- End quote ---

Yes, you are definitely right. What I was thinking was that, if I did not stand up for myself, how could I face myself, say, when I was looking at a mirror??

I just try all means not to be a coward.

blackcat:

--- Quote from: jeffmoonchop on September 24, 2019, 01:57:39 PM ---The supervisor should want to be placed as the last author, as it shows that the work came from a group he/she is supervising.

--- End quote ---

>90% what you say is true. Some people may think differently.

Also, some discipline has unique way of doing things. For example, in mathematics, the paper authorship follows alphabetical order.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version