Specialty Chemistry Forums > Chemical Education and Careers

My supervisor acts weird on the authorship of my paper

<< < (2/3) > >>

Corribus:

--- Quote from: wildfyr on August 05, 2019, 04:11:08 PM ---For the patent it is a matter of money, for the paper, you are sort of at his mercy. This is an all around crummy situation. I do not know of a way to "come out ahead." Your University should have an ombudsman, that is someone you can at least talk to who is on the ground and will have experience with such issues. Their job is to be a mediator.

--- End quote ---
To some extent, true. It's also just a really jerky thing for a supervisor to do. OP should know that he has ultimate leverage, however, because the supervisor needs all authors to approve of the manuscript before it's submitted. The supervisor cannot submit it without the OP as an author because the OP can then file a grievance with the journal (for retraction). Therefore if he really wants to play hardball, he can - although there are obviously risks in doing this, particularly if you will require positive reference from the supervisor.  OP may also seek out the dean of graduate studies (or equivalent) and see if arbitration is an option.

blackcat:

--- Quote from: Corribus on August 06, 2019, 09:58:03 AM ---
--- Quote from: wildfyr on August 05, 2019, 04:11:08 PM ---For the patent it is a matter of money, for the paper, you are sort of at his mercy. This is an all around crummy situation. I do not know of a way to "come out ahead." Your University should have an ombudsman, that is someone you can at least talk to who is on the ground and will have experience with such issues. Their job is to be a mediator.

--- End quote ---
To some extent, true. It's also just a really jerky thing for a supervisor to do. OP should know that he has ultimate leverage, however, because the supervisor needs all authors to approve of the manuscript before it's submitted. The supervisor cannot submit it without the OP as an author because the OP can then file a grievance with the journal (for retraction). Therefore if he really wants to play hardball, he can - although there are obviously risks in doing this, particularly if you will require positive reference from the supervisor.  OP may also seek out the dean of graduate studies (or equivalent) and see if arbitration is an option.

--- End quote ---

Yes, you mentioned the paper cannot be published with my agreement on everything of the paper is exactly what I thought of. I originally thought that I would play the game on this to force my supervisor to change back the author order. Yet, due to some reason, I think I have to let it go.

The reason is not I need a positive reference from my supervisor (in Canada). I already got a permanent job in Switzerland company as a chemist. Why I need him anymore?

Yet, I am from Hong Kong. Yes, I am now financially good (thanks to Switzerland job), but I will also need a place to settle. This alone causes me tons of limitation when I decide which/where/when to go to places to work. That said, I will need my current supervisor's help on something.

I hope you understand what I meant here because it is best for me not to mention the underlying reason directly.

blackcat:
I must thank everyone here for your valuable helpful advice!!!  :D :D :D

blackcat:
My paper has been changed to me being the first author, submitted and received feedback from reviewers. It should be optimistic the paper will be accepted.

wildfyr:
Excellent news! How did things shake out that you got your way?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version