March 29, 2024, 10:59:12 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Trouble with Metal Salts!!  (Read 2335 times)

Offline OverlordCris

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Trouble with Metal Salts!!
« on: August 07, 2019, 09:48:38 PM »
What is a Metal Salt, How is it created, and How is it used? There isn't a resource that is reasonably accessible to me that way I can read up on the matter, so can someone help me understand the entire concept of metal salts in depth?

Offline sunkal

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Trouble with Metal Salts!!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 11:09:31 PM »
What is a Metal Salt, How is it created, and How is it used? There isn't a resource that is reasonably accessible to me that way I can read up on the matter, so can someone help me understand the entire concept of metal salts in depth?
Do you know what a salt is?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 06:59:57 AM »
There isn't a resource that is reasonably accessible to me

Come on, hundreds of free, good sources on the web, starting with wikipedia and openbooks. How many have you checked?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 12:17:12 PM »
You are asking a very, very broad question.  Are you interested in metal salts in general, or are there specific metal salts about which you wish to know more?

Offline OverlordCris

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 02:06:49 PM »
You are asking a very, very broad question.  Are you interested in metal salts in general, or are there specific metal salts about which you wish to know more?

I am interested in metal salts in general.

Offline OverlordCris

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 02:31:18 PM »
There isn't a resource that is reasonably accessible to me

Come on, hundreds of free, good sources on the web, starting with wikipedia and openbooks. How many have you checked?

Wikipedia is always the first to be check I am just confusion to why it is called metal salt. is it because of the elements involve?

Offline sunkal

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 04:11:30 PM »
I am just confused as to why it is called metal salt. is it because of the elements involved?

A salt is a compound formed along with water in a reaction between an Arrhenius base (AB) and an Arrhenius acid (AA). The AB provides a metal and the AA provides one or two nonmetals in the resulting salt formed. Potassium sulfate is a salt formed between potassium hydroxide (AB) and sulfuric acid (AA).

In a large number of years of my teaching chemistry this is the first time that I came across the term metal salt in your question. I think some might call it so because of the metal involved. But, I am not sure whether there is any salt that doesn't have a metal in it and hence not a metal salt (given the above definition of salt). If no, I don't know why it should be called metal salt. Any knowledgeable chemist on the forum may clarify it; I would appreciate it.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 04:13:54 PM »
I am not sure whether there is any salt that doesn't have a metal in it and hence not a metal salt

NH4Cl
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 04:19:40 PM »
@OP, Do you understand the difference between a metal versus a metal ion?

Offline sunkal

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 11:25:43 PM »
I am not sure whether there is any salt that doesn't have a metal in it and hence not a metal salt

NH4Cl

Thank you very much. Is there a significant difference between the metal salts and ammonium salts? There must be to warrant this special term I guess.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2019, 09:30:27 AM »
I surmise that Borek wished to distinguish between metal ions and nonmetal ions and to point out that not all salts are metal salts.

Sponsored Links