March 29, 2024, 12:01:52 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Amide LiAlH4 - Reactionmechanism  (Read 1084 times)

Offline Nozon

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Amide LiAlH4 - Reactionmechanism
« on: August 08, 2019, 12:24:22 PM »
This may be theoretical and unknown but I am wondering how LiAlH4 exactly reacts with an amide.

My book refers it as a hydrid ion makes an nucleophilic attack on the alpha-carbon, forcing the pi-bound of Oxygen to go up to itself and makes an negative charge and then Al is steps in and bind oxygen, making it a good leaving group, so that nitrogen can make a pi-bound to the alpha-carbon and become a cation. (Iminium Ion).
A new nucleophilic attack by a hydrid ion from a new LiAlH4 removes the pi bound between N and C and neutralize the molecule into an amine.

My question is here, what is the positively charged lithium's role? I would I be wrong to assume it destabilize the oxygen's pi-bound (due to it negative polarity) to the alpha carbon at first, so a nucleophilic attack can occur?

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
Re: Amide LiAlH4 - Reactionmechanism
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 03:43:06 PM »
I think you can reduce an amide with AlH3, its the hydride and aluminum that is important, lithium not so much.

Offline Nozon

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 05:09:25 AM »
Rolnor - okay thanks a lot.

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +135/-16
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 03:04:04 AM »
Lithium usually coordinates to the carbonyl oxygen and furhter activates it for the reduction. It plays some role because changing the counterions effects the reactivity of the reducing agent.

Sponsored Links