March 28, 2024, 09:48:48 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Substance add into alcohol to react with Ethanol and prevent from getting drunk?  (Read 1338 times)

Offline exaggerator2

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Is there any substance I can add into my liquor to react with alcohol (Ethanol) and protect me from getting drunk?

Please,I need help from chemical profession. My question might sound really weird but I am desperate right now.

I am a person with nearly zero alcohol tolerance. Nevertheless, I have been putting into an unavoidable situation that I have to drink (whiskeys mostly). I feel extremely uncomfortable and stressed all the time.

I wonder whether there might be a chemical solution to this situation. I can add something into my drink and turn Ethanol into something else that won't harm me. Is this possible?

Some conditions must be added into consideration:
1.First,reactants, products and leftovers shoud all be drinkable.
2.Second, the chemical reaction can't be too obvious ( like immediate color changing , sensible smoke or gas, etc…)
3.I have been thinking the reaction from Ethanol to Ethanoic acid might work , but obviously I can't add sulfuric acid into my drink or heat my drink either.

I don’t have enough chemical knowledge to help me with this question. Please help. Anyone with chemical profession, your suggestions will help me a lot.
Thanks for your reading. :)

Offline jeffmoonchop

• Mole Snacks: +37/-5
Unless you have a job as a whisky taster, you always have a choice to drink alcohol or not. if you are being forced into it by peer pressure, get new friends. If you're being forced into it by abuse, go to the police.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
I second that, this is a personal relations problem, not a chemistry problem.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
I remember what G. Gordon Liddy said about his father at parties.  No one ever saw him without a drink in his hand.  At the end of the evening, it was the same drink that he started with at the beginning of the evening.  I am not sure whether or not this helps in the present circumstance.

Offline sharbeldam

• Mole Snacks: +8/-2
I agree with the response, but chemistry wise what would be the perfect reactant to react it with? it's an interesting question for general knowledge.
O-Chem 1+2 Online Free tutor on Skype: Live:damnitsjake21

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
Its not possible to make a derivative of the alcohol but if you spike the drink with amphetamine or benzylpiperazine the effect of the alcohol can be mildered. If large amount of alcohol is consumed this will not work though.

Offline hypervalent_iodine

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +33/-1
I agree with the response, but chemistry wise what would be the perfect reactant to react it with? it's an interesting question for general knowledge.

The only fool proof solution is to refuse the drinks in the first place and switch to something non-alcoholic, or as suggested earlier, to nurse the drink the entire time without consuming it. I really don't see a more feasible option here. This is not an issue solved by chemistry.

Sponsored Links