March 29, 2024, 07:22:56 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Simple Conversion  (Read 1030 times)

Offline knaylor

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Simple Conversion
« on: August 22, 2019, 05:32:30 PM »
It's been awhile since I've had to do conversion factors, and yes the internet is a wonderful thing. I can look up the conversion online, but I want to learn how to do this. It is an assignment for lab and asks for work. I don't want the answer, I would like help with learning how to do this.

Question:

a density of 0.791g/cm^3 to lb/ft^3

So I need to convert it to lb/ft^3.  I am given --- (1000g = 2.205lb) and (1ft = 30.48cm)

Those are g/cubic cm and lb/cubic feet. (Not sure how to put exponents online)

I have been stuck on this problem for a long time and have looked online to see if I could learn how to do it. I'm sure it is something simple and will come back to me with the help of someone else.

Offline sunkal

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Simple Conversion
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 08:11:08 PM »
knaylor,

Can you attempt it as much as you can and show us your set up? Then we will be able to point out to you where you went wrong, in case you did.

According to the forum rules, we are not supposed to help without your showing your work.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Simple Conversion
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 02:47:54 AM »
Exponent: above the window where you type the text are control buttons. sup makes exponents.

Units conversion: you can do it stepwise. 0.791g/cm3 are XXX g/ft3 then YYY lb/ft3. In this process, it helps to know that a ft is bigger than a cm, so a ft3 contains more than a cm3, and you know whether multiplying of dividing, and so on. When asked to convert units without a value, start with 1.

Knowing to do that by hand is essential. Once you're trained to it, you can use a software for the purpose. I have:
SI Konverter (German and English) https://www.freeware.de/download/si-konverter-einheiten-umrechnung/
there are more.

Sponsored Links