April 25, 2024, 01:09:59 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Trying to understand what happens in this ion exchange  (Read 1239 times)

Offline born2dive00

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Trying to understand what happens in this ion exchange
« on: August 24, 2019, 12:07:44 PM »
Can some one explain to me in step by step detail what happens when Tri sodium citrate is added to water,

I know that citrate is (C6H5O7 which has a -3 charge)
I know that sodium is Na which has a +1 charge) and there are 3 sodium in TSC so the charge is Na+3 which binds to the citrate that has a -3 charge.
I also know that water has a 0 ion charge but a - polar charge.

Now I have been told that once in water TSC disassociates all the sodium.  So will the sodium just be floating be floating around in the water or will it create a "static electric" bond with the water?
Please clarify what exactly is happening here.

Now the next step is what happens when Phosphoric acid (H2PO4) when added to water. If I am not mistaken in water it forms 3(H3O-1) and PO4-3.

so does the free floating sodium bind with the PO4 to form Na3PO4 +/-0 , leaving citrate C6H5O7-3 (which is a chealting agent, free to sequester Iron and Copper)

How does adding the phosphoric acid affect the pKa of the TSC?

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: Trying to understand what happens in this ion exchange
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 03:47:14 PM »

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 01:57:21 AM »

Now I have been told that once in water TSC disassociates all the sodium.  So will the sodium just be floating be floating around in the water or will it create a "static electric" bond with the water?
Please clarify what exactly is happening here.

sodium ions have positive charge on them and water is a polar solvent.Each Na+ ion gets surrounded(due to attraction) by oxygen of water and this process is called as solvation.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 09:56:41 AM »
Now the next step is what happens when Phosphoric acid (H2PO4) when added to water. If I am not mistaken in water it forms 3(H3O-1) and PO4-3.

so does the free floating sodium bind with the PO4 to form Na3PO4 +/-0 , leaving citrate C6H5O7-3 (which is a chealting agent, free to sequester Iron and Copper)

How does adding the phosphoric acid affect the pKa of the TSC?

Phosphoric acid is H3PO4, with three very different dissociation constants (roughly 2, 7, and 12).  It cannot affect the pKa of citric acid.  That does not imply however, that it has no effect whatsoever.

Sponsored Links