March 28, 2024, 06:05:03 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: miscibilty of dimethyl formamide and ethyl methyl ketone  (Read 2236 times)

Offline varun5799

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
miscibilty of dimethyl formamide and ethyl methyl ketone
« on: September 01, 2019, 09:11:07 AM »

hi  ;D ;D ;D
need a bit of help for a experiment i am trying to conduct ( in relation to the extraction of caffeine )
i was hoping to use dimethyl formamide as a solvent for the extraction but however it is miscible in water and that too very much so, i succesfully sepereated acetone and the coffee solution using salt as a a means of phase seperation. is there a similar way to cause a phase seperation of dimethyl formamide or even sulfoxide ( have that too) ? if not is there any other high polar organic solvents that are immiscible with water or partially miscible ( at least ) ??
hate to be so critical but it can't be carcinogenic { or suspected of it : no DCM   :'( sadly  }\
thanks in advance!

Offline varun5799

Re: miscibilty of dimethyl formamide and ethyl methyl ketone
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 02:10:32 PM »
really need help on this topic please :(

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 09:46:30 AM »
What is the most polar solvent that is immiscible with water that you can think of, and can you use that?

Offline varun5799

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 09:56:23 AM »
hi thanks for the reply
the most polar solvent that would b/. acetone is normally miscible and more polar , but i managed to seperate it using salting out technique
i need help in identfying a solvent that is highly polar and that can be succesfully spereated into two phases
using salting out or another method that you may know of ?
also is dimethyl formamide misicble in water or not ? ( getting confilcitng answers on the internet )

Offline varun5799

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 09:57:17 AM »
sorry ^ ethyl methyl ketone ( is the solevent ) ( it is partially soluble in water however )( salting out reduces this )

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 10:23:05 AM »
Dimethylformamide is soluble in water, and this property allows for its removal from an organic phase in certain circumstances.  What do you know about ethyl acetate?

Offline varun5799

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 10:31:05 AM »
i am quite familiar with it and i am already using it as a part of my investigation

apologies i should have mentioned this earlier
i am investigating the effect of changing the  polarity of the organic solvent in the liquid to liquid extraction of caffeine
i have the following solevents chosen so far
toluene : 2.4
diethyl ether 2.8
butanol : 3.9
ethy acetate : 4.4
ethyl methyl ketone: 4.7
acetone : 5.1

these are the the relative polarities of the solevnts i am currently employing
i am in need of just one more that is more polar than acetone.
and if you know of any other low relative polarity solevns ( 1- 1.8 range do let me know as this would help quite a bit )
i was hoping to cause a phase seperation to either dimethyl formamide or diemthyl sulfoxide as these are highly polar
do you know if acetic acid or acetonitrile can be seperated into two organic phases through salting out ? ( these are also similar in polarity to dimethyl formamide , 6.2 and 5.8 respectiely)

Sponsored Links