September 23, 2019, 05:53:54 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting


Topic: 0.06 M Oxalic Acid Skin Contact Danger  (Read 196 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline orgrinda

  • Very New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
0.06 M Oxalic Acid Skin Contact Danger
« on: September 05, 2019, 07:30:13 AM »
My friend was conducting an experiment with 0.06 M of oxalic acid and at most 10 ml of it dropped on his skin. He did not wash it. Is this hazardous now?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 08:33:42 AM by orgrinda »

Offline Borek

  • Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • *
  • Posts: 25198
  • Mole Snacks: +1656/-397
  • Gender: Male
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: 0.06 M Oxalic Acid Skin Contact Danger
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 09:58:34 AM »
Nope. At these amounts/concentrations oxalic acid on the skin is mainly a mild irritant. If nothing happened immediately I wouldn't care by now.

Not that it was a wise idea to not wash it, just with water.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info, pH-meter.info

Offline jeffmoonchop

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 153
  • Mole Snacks: +13/-1
  • Gender: Male
Re: 0.06 M Oxalic Acid Skin Contact Danger
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 11:58:16 AM »
I used to handle pure oxalic acid on a daily basis during my PhD. Not with my hands but sometimes would come in contact with my skin. Couple years later and my kidneys still work.

Offline sjb

  • Global Moderator
  • Sr. Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 3389
  • Mole Snacks: +212/-41
  • Gender: Male
Re: 0.06 M Oxalic Acid Skin Contact Danger
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 03:39:04 AM »
Compare this concentration to that in rhubarb leaves

Sponsored Links