March 28, 2024, 11:00:11 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Generating ClO2 solution  (Read 1874 times)

Offline eesz34

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Generating ClO2 solution
« on: September 09, 2019, 08:48:35 AM »
Let me start with some background. I'm an engineer but not chemical, so I know a tiny bit of chemistry but not nearly enough. I'm trying to solve a real-world problem that goes like this:

I used to buy something called Nu-Calgon Bio-fresh CD to spray on air conditioner coils to kill fungal growth and used as a deodorizer in other applications. The stuff works great, when it works. It seems by the time I want to use it a few months later, it's as effective as plain water. I've even purchased gallon jugs that, brand new, were not effective. Considering ClO2 is pretty unstable, this isn't surprising. Shipping a gallon of liquid isn't cheap which is about the only way I can easily buy this stuff. According to the label Bio-fresh is 0.1% Chlorine Dioxide, and 99.9% "other ingredients" which is probably water.

One day I had a brainstorm to find tablets I could drop in water to make fresh batches each time. I found water purification tablets that I thought might do the trick. First I purchased tablets that contain sodium dichloroisocyanurate and dropped a tablet in my pump sprayer with water. It seemed do something, but not nearly as effective as ClO2. I wanted something similar to Bio-fresh.

So I found other water purification tablets that supposedly use ClO2. These contain sodium chlorite and sodium dichloroisocyanurate dihydrate and "other ingredients". From some research, sodium chlorite is what produces the ClO2. Dropping one of these in my pump sprayer with plain water makes this nice yellow bubbling plume through the water, but even if I spray some of this on something musty it's underwhelming. When I check back later, it doesn't kill the odor and leave a slight chlorine smell like Bio-fresh.

Can anyone help me with this? Is it possible to make a CLO2 disinfecting/deodorizing solution with readily available tablets or powder?

« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 09:22:05 AM by eesz34 »

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Generating ClO2 solution
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 09:18:09 AM »
Just for extra information here is the SDS link for Bio‐Fresh cd .

http://www.nucalgon.com/assets/SDS/English/4126-34_SDS_ENG.pdf

And the WIKI link for Sodium chlorite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_chlorite

Offline camurgo

• Very New Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 09:16:46 PM »
Hi, I'm not a chemist either, and was not acquainted with the product you're asking about, until doing some very quick read up on it just now.

I'm must be wrong since no one else pointed this out yet, also seems too easy to be true, but it doesn't hurt saying it I guess: there's some conflicting info about the product. In its description on its webpage it is indeed at one point mentioned that the product is based on "chlorine dioxide technology". However the SDS Information data sheet (actually the same link posted by @billnotgatez above) says it is composed of Sodium Chlorite (0.17%) and Water (99.99%).

Now, if this is true, then I imagine you could probably just buy Sodium Chlorite powder and make your own solution.
At 0.17% rate one 1kg bag would last you a lifetime.

Offline eesz34

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 07:14:51 AM »
In its description on its webpage it is indeed at one point mentioned that the product is based on "chlorine dioxide technology". However the SDS Information data sheet (actually the same link posted by @billnotgatez above) says it is composed of Sodium Chlorite (0.17%) and Water (99.99%).

Now, if this is true, then I imagine you could probably just buy Sodium Chlorite powder and make your own solution.
At 0.17% rate one 1kg bag would last you a lifetime.

I noticed that too. I'd like to know if simply mixing this in water is the same, because it seems almost too easy. What makes me unsure is I've already tried water purification tablets containing sodium chlorite and, while I didn't go sticking my nose into the container since that's a bad idea, the stuff didn't seem to do much when sprayed.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 01:36:05 PM »
@eesz34
Can you post a link for the SDS of the water purification tablets you used?

Offline eesz34

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 10:32:22 AM »
@eesz34
Can you post a link for the SDS of the water purification tablets you used?

Here it is:

https://www.aquamira.com/wp-content/uploads/documents/Aquamira-Water-Purifier-Tablets-EN-OSHA-GHS-SDS-2016.pdf

Here's a pic of the front:

https://acmeapproved.com/products/aquamira-water-purification-tablets-20-pack

It's interesting that section 3 in the SDS doesn't quite line up with the ingredients listed on the front of the package.

Sponsored Links