March 29, 2024, 11:56:49 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: deciding on a book to start learning chemistry!!  (Read 1536 times)

Offline gosephmiguel

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
deciding on a book to start learning chemistry!!
« on: September 14, 2019, 04:17:52 AM »
so lately i have encountering organic chemistry every where and it knida fascinates me so i decided to start learning since i'll also be learning it at school but i really don't like the school text book i'm looking for something that'll work as an introduction to chemistry while not being too simple and basic in other words something that will help me get deeper into chemistry rather than just being able to understand simple things

by the way i saw the recommendation list but would starting out with one of the three organic chemistry books be any good as a way to get into chemistry for someone who is new or would it simply be a way of collecting information without understanding the basis

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: deciding on a book to start learning chemistry!!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 07:44:08 AM »
There are many good organic chemistry textbooks (introduction ..., intermediate ..., advanced ...). But for unknown reasons, not every textbook personally suits everyone well. If you are already studying organic chemistry, it is best to use the textbook recommended by your professor. If you would like organic chemistry to draw you in forever, start historically: Kekule, Perkin, Richter - their books can be found on archive.org as opensource (more - https://archive.org/details/Organic_Chemistry/page/n1). Plus, go to the school or university library, look at some of the latest textbooks, and choose the one that suits you best.
AWK

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 10:54:33 AM »
There is a reason most curricula teach organic chemistry after general chemistry. From your post it sounds like you have no or little chemistry exposure. To appreciate organic chemistry, you need to be familiar with basic chemistry concepts like acid/bases, mole, equilibrium, unit conversion, stoichiometry, rates, and molecular structure. You should find a good general chemistry book instead of an organic chemistry book if you don't know about these concepts.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 01:32:04 AM »
If you facing problems in general chemistry concepts also then there are really good books like Zumdhal ,Chang or modern chemistry ..you can start with them

Sponsored Links