April 18, 2024, 09:24:13 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help me avoid getting ripped off!!  (Read 1092 times)

Offline shumsta

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Help me avoid getting ripped off!!
« on: September 26, 2019, 07:48:04 AM »
Hi All,

I studied chemistry right up to the end of my high school years and I scored some excellent marks along the way, but that was 23 years ago, and I haven't done very much chemistry since then.  However, I do have access to an extremely basic laboratory (i.e., accurate scales, electronic pH meter, test tubes, pipettes etc.)

I've got a fairly simple real world problem: I have bought an appliance that requires a pair of proprietary cleaning solutions, one acidic and one basic, but they both cost an arm and a leg. 

The MDSS and the product label say that the active ingredients in the basic version are 10-30% Sodium Hydroxide and <10% Potassium Hydroxide, while the acidic one is >60% phosphoric acid and 10-30% glycolic acid.

I would like to know exactly what the proportions are, so that I can order pre-mixed chemicals myself and avoid the ridiculous markups that I'm currently paying.

Is there a way that I can figure this out using the tools that I have available?  Or do I need to go to an analytical chemical lab?  I could afford to pay a couple of hundred bucks for testing, but anything more than that, and it soon becomes more economical to just grab my ankles when it comes time to order new cleaning solution?

PS. Under Australian law, the manufacturer cannot compel a consumer to use brand-name maintenance products if generic products that meet the same specs exist.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Help me avoid getting ripped off!!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 04:39:34 AM »
Doesn't sound trivial. I can be missing something, but I wouldn't expect the determination of Na/K ratio to be too accurate with classical methods.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links