April 18, 2024, 01:32:48 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Column Chromatography Experiment Question  (Read 1033 times)

Offline teflon66

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Column Chromatography Experiment Question
« on: September 29, 2019, 09:52:33 PM »
In this experiment, I had to separate a mixture of salicylic acid and triphenylmethanol with column chromatography using a 60:40 ratio of ethyl acetate to hexane. We collected 2 mL of the eluent in 7 vials. Then, we ran the fractions against authentic triphenylmethanol and salicylic acid using thin-line chromatography. We converted each distances of the spots on the TLC plate to Rf values. 4 TLC plates were used, with two fractions and authentic salicylic acid and triphenylmethanol on each.

Here's what I got:

TLC Plate #1: Fraction 1 = 0.940, Fraction 2 = 0.910, Authentic S.A. = 0.820, Authentic Tri. = 0.920

TLC Plate #2: Fraction 3 = 0.960, Fraction 4 = No spot appeared, Authentic S.A. = 0.850, Authentic Tri. = 0.930

TLC Plate #3: Fraction 5 = No spot appeared, Fraction 6 = No spot appeared, Authentic S.A. = 0.780, Authentic Tri. = 0.880

TLC Plate #4: Fraction 7 = No spot appeared, Authentic S.A. = 0.780, Authentic Tri. = 0.860

I'm confused at how to interpret these results. The first 3 fractions' Rf values are similar to the authentic triphenylmethanol Rf values, so I was able to separate the mixture and collect triphenylmethanol. But, after fraction 3, no spots appeared on the TLC plate: Does this mean that the mixture wasn't separated? Why is that the case?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Offline OrganicDan96

• Mole Snacks: +20/-1
Re: Column Chromatography Experiment Question
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 08:16:30 AM »
what are the key differences between the two compounds, how would they differ on the column?

Offline hollytara

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 02:25:15 PM »
PS  TLC = Thin Layer Chromatography

Did you see two spots in your fractions?

One problem is you did not run the TPM and SA as a mixture to see if two spots appeared from the mixture.

Are you sure everything had eluted from the column when you finished?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 06:09:06 PM »
Your Rf values are higher than one sometimes sees.  Was this intentional?  How large were your spots?

Sponsored Links