April 23, 2024, 02:22:08 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Soxhlet Extraction  (Read 805 times)

Offline bliindsniper

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Soxhlet Extraction
« on: October 01, 2019, 04:46:52 PM »
I have a quick question regarding soxhlet extraction.

Because the solvent being run over the plant material in the extraction chamber is technically fresh every time it runs through...

Does it ultimately matter how much solvent I am using?

For example if I have 100g of plant material.

Does it matter if I use 200ml of solvent vs 500ml.

They will both extract the same % of compounds because it is fresh solvent condensing every time correct?

The 200ml collection will obviously be more concentrated with compounds in the end.

From my perspective the only requirement for the amount of solvent is whatever is required to fill the extraction chamber and begin the siphon back to the flask.

Is this one of the only extraction methods where amount of solvent won't really affect yield?

Correct me if I am wrong on this, I may very well be.

Offline hollytara

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-0
Re: Soxhlet Extraction
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 09:49:53 PM »
That is correct as far as it goes. But consider:

How soluble is your extracted material?  You don't want it to precipitate in the distilling flask!  It may also be more likely to degrade at higher concentrations: so you want enough excess solvent "down below" to keep it diluted.

Your condenser may not be 100% effective, so that some solvent might be lost over time.

You may think of some other reasons why being overly stingy with the solvent is not the best approach in many cases

Sponsored Links