April 20, 2024, 09:24:15 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Two questions about H2O2 that i use for organic chemistry reactions  (Read 1519 times)

Offline sharbeldam

• Mole Snacks: +8/-2
1) Why does it say that H2O2 3% Or even 17.5% need to be stored in room temperature but a 35% needs to be stored in 10C?
2) is it ok to put it in the fridge (3-4C) even though it says that 35% needs to be stored in 10C?

one more thing please, it says ofcourse that inhalation of it is harmful, but what exactly does that mean? is it safe to work with it outside without a face mask? because it doesnt vaporize in cool temperatures does it?

Thanks in advance
O-Chem 1+2 Online Free tutor on Skype: Live:damnitsjake21

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 06:32:14 AM by AWK »
AWK

Offline sharbeldam

Re: Two questions about H2O2 that i use for organic chemistry reactions
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 05:47:44 AM »
So the fact that it says 10C on the bottle is wrong?
and about inhaling, i got that, but you dont actually inhale it by working with it in 19-23C outside since it doesnt vaporize at this temp... right?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 05:57:58 AM »
Something needs to be written. Reasonably and safely.
AWK

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 06:51:15 AM »
The safety concerns is if you expose under long time with the material, the vapor-pressure is not high at roomtemp.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 07:30:22 AM »
Not everyone reads the detailed texts, so I will quote a few sentences from www.h2o2.com.
"Under normal conditions, hydrogen peroxide is extremely stable when properly stored. The dose loss in large containers, such as tanks, is less than 1% per year at normal ambient temperatures; in small containers, such as drums, the loss rate is less than 2 % per year ".

Note - smaller container - faster decomposition.

This is an important point about your question:
"Decreasing temperatures have little effect on hydrogen peroxide until they drop substantially below 0 degrees C. Crystals do not begin to appear in 35% and 50% solutions until -33C (-27.4F) and -52.2C (-62F), respectively. "

So the lower the temperature (but above -33C), the better.
But storing reagents at such low temperatures is cumbersome and expensive and only used when absolutely necessary.

It is true that the vapor pressure at lower temperatures is lower. In the case of toxic substances in accordance with their toxicity classifications, each country has its own regulations and must be followed (sometimes even individual laboratories have their own separate regulations).
Small damage to the mucous membranes caused by hydrogen peroxide can be repaired by the body.
But when the mutagenic effect of this compound will reveal - it is not known. Maybe never.
AWK

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 10:01:33 AM »
Just in case someone has to handle >70% concentration some day, peroxide behaves differently then, as the decomposition heat suffices to evaporate the liquid.
http://w.hydrogen-peroxide.us/chemical-handling-toxicity/AIAA-2004-4146_Field_Handling_of_hydrogen_peroxide.pdf
Ignites organics by contact including clothes and skin, detonates without fuel, decomposes slowly then explosively, and other petty jokes.

Offline sharbeldam

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 04:33:18 PM »
Thank you all

Sponsored Links