Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Equilibrium  (Read 772 times)

Offline ChimmyChongos

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Equilibrium
« on: October 06, 2019, 11:37:21 AM »
Hey Lads.
I'm asking this the night before  :'( but regardless, its frustrating me how i cannot understand this question:

It has the equilibrium as such: Co(H2O)62+ + 4Cl-  <--> CoCl42- + 6H20

and it asks how it will affect the concentration of :
                                          Co(H2O)62+
                                          4Cl-
                                          CoCl42-
from the initial equilibrium to the final equilbrium were you to add, H20, HCl, and AgNO3

within my understanding; would not adding say H20 increase the concentration of H20 of the products, and in order to counteract the imposed change, then favour the reactants, thus producing more reactant (the  Co(H2O)62+ and 4Cl-) however, it says that the concentration of Co(H2O)62+ after adding the water would have decreased from the initial equilibrium?

very confused. Thanks for any *delete me*!

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
AWK

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
Re: Equilibrium
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 04:52:38 AM »
Because the solution is in water anyway (presumably), you would have to add a significant amount of water to affect the equilibrium. Initially at any rate, this would cause all the concentrations of dissolved species to decrease. Consider the expression for the equilibrium constant, and consider the effect of reducing all the concentrations by a factor of 2 (apart from that of water, which can be assumed to stay approximately constant). What would happen?

Sponsored Links