April 20, 2024, 01:29:29 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Assignment of CIP priorities in branched substituents  (Read 978 times)

Offline OrganicH2O

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
Assignment of CIP priorities in branched substituents
« on: October 08, 2019, 01:30:08 AM »
I was hoping for some help understanding priorities when there is branching in two directions when assigning priorities. An example would be the red asterisk chiral center in the molecule I attached a picture of here, where I am trying to break the tie between two and three.

I would like to know a systematic way to break a tie like this when you can go in two directions. Do you go in both directions, and pick the higher priority branch on each to break the tie? I have tried searching this many times but I can only find basic explanations of molecules that I already understand. I would even be happy if somebody could point me toward a document that would contain the rules.
I have a Master's in organic chemistry and I am exposed to a LOT of different introductory organic chem classes in the course of my work, ranging from very basic to Harvard. I am here to refine my knowledge and consult with other organic chemistry nerds.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
AWK

Offline OrganicH2O

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
Re: Assignment of CIP priorities in branched substituents
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 01:51:14 PM »
Thank you for the link, but it doesn't seem to answer my question. I can only see that it describes the idea of CIP priorities. I see there are references to papers that probably would answer my question, but I have been unable to locate them because I don't have access to the literature.
I have a Master's in organic chemistry and I am exposed to a LOT of different introductory organic chem classes in the course of my work, ranging from very basic to Harvard. I am here to refine my knowledge and consult with other organic chemistry nerds.

Sponsored Links