April 26, 2024, 12:57:44 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Determining the relative acidity of protons in a compound  (Read 829 times)

Offline TheArmchairSkeptic

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Determining the relative acidity of protons in a compound
« on: October 10, 2019, 07:07:22 PM »
So I've been given a compound and am asked to rank the protons in order of acidity from most acidic to least acidic. I've drawn up the conjugate bases as shown here:

https://imgur.com/a/zGVsDPZ

Based on this, it seems to me that the order of acidity should be 3>1>2. I came to this conclusion using the ARIO rule; 3 and 1 should be more acidic than 2 because they have the negative charge on an oxygen while 2 has it on a carbon, and 3 is more acidic than 1 because it has a resonance structure that allows the negative charge to be shared between two oxygen atoms. Apparently though, the correct answer is 3>2>1, and I'm not sure why that is. I realize 2 has the resonance structure that allows the negative charge to be kicked up to the oxygen, but shouldn't the A rule supersede the R rule and make 1 more acidic than 2? I was told to use the rules in sequential order, so how come resonance seems to be more important than atom in this case?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline pgk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +97/-24
Re: Determining the relative acidity of protons in a compound
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 01:24:50 PM »
In theory, the correct answer is 3 > 2 > 1 because the carbonyl group can form an enol which is more acidic than an alcohol and therefore, the α-methylene proton is more acidic than that of the alcohol.
But in practice, the correct answer is 3 > 1 > 2 because the so formed enol contains an additional (primary) vinyl alcohol group which is more acidic than a typical enol (or else, the A rule supersedes the R rule).
PS: If your teacher insists, the correct answer is 3 > 2 > 1 without any further comments.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 01:53:16 PM by pgk »

Sponsored Links