Chemistry Forums for Students > Organic Chemistry Forum

trifluoperazine hydrochloride

(1/3) > >>

seant:
Recently i got imprisoned into a psychiatric prison where was treated with a neuroleptic drug called trifluoperazine hydrochloride. The drug in powder form was given by mouth; it got onto my teeth where was dissolved in saliva and water and then swallowed. I saw that my gums receded, are all bleeding and my teeth are hurting. I have tooth pain after many months. I read that the substance itself is an irritant; i wonder, does it get into reaction with tooth enamel, calcium?

rolnor:
These symptoms is surprising for a drug that has been used in clinic, are you sure that there is no chanse that you are psycotic and maybe are imagining these adverse effects? This is common in treating psykotic patients that they have strong negative experiences with the medication. There is nothing wrong with this and I am not acusing you but ask this to make you aware of this risc. As a matter if fact I have used this drug myself in powder-form and I did not have any if these symptoms you describe. I used it to treat anxiety under a short period of time. This is a low-dose neuroleptica and usually very small amount is needed to get clinical response.  Take care.

seant:
They use it here in big amounts, 15 -80 mg or so per day. What dose tablets are you using?
1 mg of course i would not feel.

rolnor:
I used 1mg so it may be different with large amounts. I must say this is a very old drug, there is better medication available today, its very sad you get these severe adverse effects. Olanzapine is better, less risc of extrapyramidal effects.

seant:
I know, no person in their normal mind would take this substance, but it is given by force in a special prison in Russia. They also use haloperidol and aminazin; they cause swellings of muscles, permanent nervous system damage, ect. But my question is about chemistry, whether this substance reacts with enamel of teeth or not? Could set up a test if you have access to it; what is it like - acid or what?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version