April 24, 2024, 06:53:45 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Theoretical yield issue  (Read 1332 times)

Offline murmelburmel

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Theoretical yield issue
« on: October 14, 2019, 12:40:08 PM »
Hi,
in a simple experiment my measured yield doesn't match the theoretical one, I have too much product.

The reaction is: FeCl3*6H2O +Na2HPO4  --> FePO4 + 2NaCl + HCl

nferric chloride hexahydrate = 1g (amount used) / 270 g/mol (molar mass) = 0.0037 mol

For Na2HPO4 using the same formula and 0.72g substance used I get n = 0.0051 mol

So the amount of ferric chloride is limiting and one part ferric chloride reacts with one part Na2HPO4 to one part FePO4.

But calculating yield (m) with m=n(ferric chloride)*M(FePO4) only gives me 0.55g, while in reality I measured around 1g yield.

I'm not a chemistry student and a complete beginner in chemistry so unsure where it went wrong. Is the reaction formula correct?

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
Re: Theoretical yield issue
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 12:53:26 PM »
Sounds like you haven't isolated pure product. Is it wet? Has it got NaCl mixed with it?

Offline murmelburmel

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 01:46:11 PM »
I followed a script for the process. The product was filtrated, cleaned with distilled water, filtrated again and then dried in an oven. It's possible that there was NaCl in it (didn't test for it sadly) but I find it hard to believe it would amount to almost half the weight of the product.
So the theory is theoretically correct, right?

Thanks, btw!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 03:24:01 AM »
So the theory is theoretically correct, right?

Technically the equation as given is not balanced (doesn't account for the water on the right hand side), and the rounding is off, but these are minor things that don't change much -  I got 0.56 g.

see https://youtu.be/bFD06DcqRGM
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline murmelburmel

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 11:35:12 AM »
see https://youtu.be/bFD06DcqRGM

Thanks for taking the time making that, much appreciated! Ok, I'll check with my teaching assistant, something must have gone wrong during synthesis or weighing.

Sponsored Links