March 28, 2024, 07:50:24 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to use Dipole moment to qualitatively confirm oxidation of a compound?  (Read 1425 times)

Offline AussieKenDoll

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
The compound RCOH has a dipole moment of 2.1D. The compound was subjected to the following reaction. How to use dipole moment as a measure to qualitatively confirm whether the given oxidation has taken place?

RCOH ---H+ / Mno4- ----> RCOOH
See the attached pic

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
What are your thoughts so far?

Offline AussieKenDoll

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
If the charge separation decrease, dipole moment decrease, which favours bond formation. Lower the charge separation more stable the bonds and the molecule. If the bond distance become Lower it favours the oxidation.
This is what I think!

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
If the charge separation decrease, dipole moment decrease, which favours bond formation. Lower the charge separation more stable the bonds and the molecule. If the bond distance become Lower it favours the oxidation.
This is what I think!
I do not agree that a decrease in dipole moment necessarily favors bond formation (how would highly polar molecules get formed?).  Do you think that the product has a higher, lower, or the same dipole moment as the reactant?  How could you test your hypothesis?

Sponsored Links