March 29, 2024, 02:52:44 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: unit cell structure  (Read 3993 times)

Offline Morphic flip

• Mole Snacks: +5/-6
  • I'm a mole!
unit cell structure
« on: August 18, 2006, 05:19:28 AM »
From the YBa2Cu3O7 structure, I know it is made up of layers virtually identical to that of perovskite.
But I can`t determine whether YBa2Cu3O7 has B type unit cell sandwiched between two A type unit cells, or something similar.
Any pointers please?

GCT

Re: unit cell structure
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 09:05:34 PM »
From the YBa2Cu3O7 structure, I know it is made up of layers virtually identical to that of perovskite.
But I can`t determine whether YBa2Cu3O7 has B type unit cell sandwiched between two A type unit cells, or something similar.
Any pointers please?

In one of my undergraduate labs we had to synthesize this compound and then determine various physical properties as well as the structural characteristics of it (including the charge of the copper through an iodometric redox titration).  I don't remember the structure exactly, however, it is a "three unit cell/elongated" representation.  You can probably search the net to find this info right away, and if not simply deduce it by understanding the proportionalities involved with having the particular atom at the edge, corner, middle, face etc locations.  For instance, you may expect copper to have one atom constituents in each of the cell (one copper in each cell), however, from this wouldn't make sense in light of some practical as well as theoretical considerations.  It's probably just better to find the structure on the web, try googling "hyperphysics" and "YBa2Cu3O7."

Offline Morphic flip

• Mole Snacks: +5/-6
  • I'm a mole!
Re: unit cell structure
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 11:48:01 AM »
cheers for input.
I have already tried on google, but can`t find anything definitive.
Als, what is the coordination of oxygen to the cations?
Like oxygen to Y?

Sponsored Links