March 28, 2024, 11:37:44 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: I am going to have a dinner with my future boss this Friday evening  (Read 3794 times)

Offline blackcat

• Mole Snacks: +3/-3
Hello, I am a chemist working in Basel. My official start date is 1st November.

Last Friday, my future boss emailed me to ask if my relocation thing is alright (I am from Hong Kong, got PhD in Scotland then worked in Canada for 2 years). Then he suggested to have a dinner, which is confirmed this Friday evening.

My background is that this is my first industry chemist job (The company is US one, pretty big). I have been working for like 6 years in university labs. Therefore, I do not want to screw it up. And I have been doing a lot of preparation during this "vacation" October..

Real questions here, about the dinner:

1. What to expect?
2. In this case, does my boss pay for the dinner? or AA?
3. What should I do/How I should behave in general?
4. What must not be done?

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: I am going to have a dinner with my future boss this Friday evening
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 06:23:09 AM »
Don't worry.

Real questions here, about the dinner:

1. What to expect?
2. In this case, does my boss pay for the dinner? or AA?
3. What should I do/How I should behave in general?
4. What must not be done?

No. 1. An expensive and I think a  good dinner, because of Switzerland. One Salad in Basel comes for 20 SF ~ 18 € instead 8 € in germany, what is very close to Basel. Order some food in middle price not the expensivest one of the menue.
Regarding the job, the boss want to check you what is your behaviour in situation , he want to know you more. Tell the trues no lies.
No. 2. The boss pays, because he get the money back from the company and he invited you.
No. 3.  You should be yourself, like how you are in your normal life, all other behaviour will come out more or later.
No. 4. Everything you also would not do if you out for dinner with friends, family, etc.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 10:07:43 AM »
But you should offer to pay for your meal.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline blackcat

• Mole Snacks: +3/-3
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 10:23:32 AM »
But you should offer to pay for your meal.

You meant I should bring it up to pay for my part?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 11:29:33 AM »
Even though he or she will probably pay, it's not very respectful or professional to assume. Assuming you are going to get a free meal makes you look like a child. You're not going to dinner with your parents.

It's always a little awkward, but when the bill comes, get out your wallet and ask if you can just split the bill 50/50. Most likely he or she will tell you not to worry about it, but it's better to act like the two of you are equals going out to a business dinner. You'll look more professional by offering, trust me. (And imagine how awkward it would look if the boss had no intention of paying for you, and you assumed it.)
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 12:33:06 PM »
I agree heartily with Corribus. Always offer, even if you know for sure it will be picked up by another party.

Sponsored Links