April 29, 2024, 05:36:20 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemistry  (Read 950 times)

Offline agon99

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chemistry
« on: October 22, 2019, 07:56:54 AM »
Hello ! I work for a chemical company and we have some disappointments with one of their products. It is an indoor deodorant that tends to ... Dissolve dyes from the packaging in which it is sold which creates an unsightly effect. We know that the discoloration is due to an aromatic compound (certainly paradichlorobenzene) that dissolves the dye (it is also dissolved by alcohol), so the solution I recommend is to saturate the deodorant as a solution for to prevent dissolving a compound. Knowing that the solubility of the dye is still low and the degradation takes place over several weeks it seems to me that it is the simplest. My question: Would you have an idea of ​​solute that could be mixed with the deodorant without disturbing it and so saturate the solvent? (It does not look very clear but I hope some will have understood) the question of the price of the solute is of course the ideal would be a common mineral salt even if I doubt that this kind of compound is soluble

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: Chemistry
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 09:32:08 AM »
It also finds use as a disinfectant in waste containers and restrooms and is the characteristic smell associated with urinal cakes.

Offline hollytara

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 11:16:43 AM »
Is your "indoor deodorant" liquid or solid? 

Your best solution is to change the packaging. 

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 10:32:29 AM »
I agree with hollytara, wouldn't it be easier just to change to less leachable dye than to change the product formulation?

Sponsored Links