April 19, 2024, 07:19:25 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Microelectrodes VS large electrodes, please help  (Read 1300 times)

Offline La-Lu

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Microelectrodes VS large electrodes, please help
« on: October 23, 2019, 06:53:24 AM »
Hello everyone

I have to do a presentation on microelectrodes. I have been at this on and off for a few weeks and looked at the literature. I keep being very confused and as the presentation day approaches I am starting to panic a bit and this makes it even harder to concentrate on this. I am seriously at a point where I just feel dumb whatever I read.  :(

My main issue is, the way my mind works, I need to find some simple, general "points" to build the description of microelectrodes on. And I can´t find them as all the topics seem to intertwine. People talk about many different aspects of microelectrodes in conversational paragraphs and I can´t make simple "slides" out of this. Can someone help me? What are the main topics when talking about microelectrodes?

I have some slides about the different geometries, the Cottrell equation and diffusion, steady state, cyclic voltammograms, chronoamperometry, but I feel like I am just mixing everything up.

In other words, what "titles" to the presentation could I use when talking about the theory of microelectrodes?

I hope someone has some advice... Thank you in advance.

LL

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Microelectrodes VS large electrodes, please help
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 07:54:22 AM »
Can you list where they differ from normal, large electrodes?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline La-Lu

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 08:47:38 AM »
Can you list where they differ from normal, large electrodes?

Thank you Borek!

Yes I say that they are smaller and reach steady state faster, but other than this I don´t know what to say, how is steady state better anyway? Does it just give a more stable current for the measurements? Why is the cyclic voltammogram for steady state better than the regular "duck" one?

These are actually some things I could talk about I guess. I will try to look into it now.  :o

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 09:44:04 AM »
What is amount of substance involved in the electrode process? Thickness of the diffusion layer? How is it related to the convection in the solution? What about the double layer capacitance?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline La-Lu

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 04:03:49 AM »
What is amount of substance involved in the electrode process? Thickness of the diffusion layer? How is it related to the convection in the solution? What about the double layer capacitance?

Thank you  :D great! I will look at this too more specifically!!

Sponsored Links