March 29, 2024, 05:05:48 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Pchem and career  (Read 3268 times)

Offline Kyriee

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Pchem and career
« on: October 28, 2019, 03:06:08 PM »
Hi!
I'm a chemist sophomore who just began to study PChem1. I already hate it.
I would like to know if I'm the only one to find weird PChem1 and so different/distant from the chemistry I love.
I'd also appreciate to know how much is PChem (in general) important in the career of a Chemist, who especially prefers laboratory of synthesis. In other words, will I be able to find a decent number of jobs application, even escluding PChem?

I know that I'm looking many years forward and the subject can change in many ways, but right now I feel that I can't tolerate PChem any longer.

Sorry for my poor English.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Pchem and career
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 10:28:10 AM »
Ignoring what a poor grade in pchem may due to your grade point average, and the downstream consequences to job applications, disliking p-chem is unlikely to affect your career aspirations as a synthetic chemist. Do you need to know quantum mechanics to synthesize molecules? No. But a solid foundation in thermodynamics and kinetics, at least the concepts if not the math, won't hurt, either.

What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
Re: Pchem and career
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 04:07:08 PM »
There is a saying along the lines of:
Q.  What is the best book on quantum mechanics ever written?
A.  The third one that you read.

Some subjects need time to seep in.  Basic thermodynamics helps one's understanding of biochemistry, among other things.  My advice is don't be hasty about deciding that you don't like this or that sub-discipline within chemistry.  But even if you never like thermodynamics or quantum mechanics, you can focus on another branch, such as synthesis. 

Sponsored Links