March 28, 2024, 08:52:57 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: what is super absorbent polymer?  (Read 3909 times)

howusap

what is super absorbent polymer?
« on: October 29, 2019, 03:21:00 AM »
The https://www.howusap.com/super-absorbent-polymer/ is a newly developed functional polymer material having a strong hydrophilic group and having a certain degree of crosslinking. These superabsorbent polymer powders(crystals) are insoluble in water and insoluble in organic solvents. It can absorb hundreds to thousands of times water than its own weight. Moreover, the water retention is strong, and even pressurized water will not be squeezed out. The industrial production capacity of superabsorbent polymer is expanding and is widely used in personal hygiene,medical and health care, building materials, environmental protection, agriculture, forestry and food industries.More info,please visite www.howusap.com

Offline hollytara

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-0
Re: what is super absorbent polymer?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 10:03:19 PM »
Is this the polyacrylic acid/sodium polyacrylate material?  This is the material that has been used in diapers and so forth for many years.  When the polyacrylic acid is 50% converted to the sodium salt, it absorbs an immense amount of water.

I have used this as a good chemistry trick.  You put enough of this polymer into an opaque bottle.  With appropriate patter and so forth, you then ostentatiously pour water into the bottle.  Continue your patter long enough for the polymer to soak up all the water.  Then you go to dump it over the head of someone - I used to use the teacher as the victim when I did it in my kids' elementary school classes.  Everybody thinks they will get soaked - but nothing comes out, because it is all absorbed in the polymer and turned into a gel!

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
Re: what is super absorbent polymer?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 04:33:16 AM »
Is this the polyacrylic acid/sodium polyacrylate material?  This is the material that has been used in diapers and so forth for many years.  When the polyacrylic acid is 50% converted to the sodium salt, it absorbs an immense amount of water.

Not quite true it is down to the chain length and degree of cross linking not the degree of neutralisation.  Super absorbent polyacrylate polymers are high molecular weight and cross-linked.  Straight chain low molecular weight polyacrylic acid or the sodium salt do not absorb water.

Sponsored Links