April 27, 2024, 01:31:20 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What would be the chemical equation for brass reacting with nitric acid?  (Read 1750 times)

Offline algerbrex

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What would be the correct chemical formula for brass reacting with nitric acid?

The reason I'm confused is that from my research, the elements in brass (my brass sample anyway) aren't chemically bonded. This sounded strange to me, so now I'm not sure how to write out the chemical equation for brass.

What I have so far is this:

Zn (s) + Cu (s) + HNO3 (aq)  :rarrow: ?

What would be the products? I know the copper would react with the nitric acid, but what happens to zinc then?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: What would be the chemical equation for brass reacting with nitric acid?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 12:28:09 PM »
Each element reacts with the nitric acid on its own (that is, has a separate reaction equation; actually several, as there are several possible oxidation paths ending with a mixture of H2, NO and NO2).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline algerbrex

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 12:46:04 PM »
Each element reacts with the nitric acid on its own (that is, has a separate reaction equation; actually several, as there are several possible oxidation paths ending with a mixture of H2, NO and NO2).

Okay, thank you. Since I need to list the chemical equation of brass and nitric acid for a lab report I'm writing, should I write two separate equations?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 01:56:36 PM »
Since I need to list the chemical equation of brass and nitric acid for a lab report I'm writing, should I write two separate equations?

Yes, at least one for copper and one for zinc.

Depending on what the report is really about (was the dissolution main part of the lab, or was it it just a preparatory part?) it can be, or be not, enough.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 07:18:41 AM »
[...] The elements in brass aren't chemically bonded [...]

They are bonded! It's a metallic bond, authentic and strong. Just like Cu bonds with Cu to make a solid.

It's just the general but misleading habit to write "Cu" for the solid. As casual as if we wrote "CH2" for polyethylene.

Sponsored Links