April 23, 2024, 11:36:41 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help identifying unknown substance  (Read 2293 times)

Offline Rootuser#matty

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Help identifying unknown substance
« on: November 03, 2019, 01:47:54 PM »
I have been given a substance to try identify. I have spent some time researching and came to the conclusion that it was Methcathinone, but after doing some investigative work with a few easily accessible solvents Iv come to the conclusion it’s not that, and investigation only led to a lot more confusion and questions. So here’s what iv figured out...

And please, I am a complete amateur so if you notice anything that is not correct feel free to correct me but I would like and explanation why if need be.
More so am doing this as a way to learn. Cheers
$SOLVENTS USED$

(HCl) hydrochloric: polar_non alkaline_water soluble_low pH...

Shellite: non polar_alkaline_not water soluble_high ph...

Methylated spirits: non polar_non alkaline_water and solvent soluble_neutral ph...

Acetone partially polar_non alkaline_water and solvent soluble...

$UNIDENTIFIABLE SUBSTANCE$

Unidentifiable substance_not soluble in water acetone or methylated spirits_ looks like a light brown transparent crystal _soluble in Shellite_smells acidic_smells oddly sweet almost a cherry like smell..

unidentifiable substance dissolved in shellite and precipitated with HCl acid and poured off.. was left with a substance that is slightly soluble in water with lots of agitation-soluble in methylated spirits with agitation, and held the same smell. Was just now in powder form and not crystal,

If you have any questions that might help as to working out what this stuff is that would be great because I’m stumped, thank you for taking the time to read this

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Help identifying unknown substance
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 02:05:08 PM »
Illicit drug - ask Police laboratory.
AWK

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 02:38:31 PM »
I have been given a substance to try identify.

And please, I am a complete amateur

Doesn't add.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Rootuser#matty

Help Identifying substance
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 07:01:21 AM »
I have a substance to identify. I have spent some time researching based on its physical attributes, I concluded that it could be Methcathinone, but after doing some investigative work with a few easily accessible solvents Iv come to the conclusion it’s not that, and investigation only led to a lot more confusion and questions. So here’s what iv figured out...

And please, I am a complete amateur so if you notice anything that is not correct feel free to correct me but I would like and explanation why if need be.
More so am doing this as a way to learn. Cheers
$SOLVENTS USED$

(HCl) hydrochloric scid: polar_water soluble_low pH...

Shellite: non polar_not water soluble_high ph...

Methylated spirits: non polar_water and solvent soluble_neutral ph...

Acetone partially polar_water and solvent soluble...

$UNIDENTIFIABLE SUBSTANCE$

Unidentifiable substance_not soluble in water acetone or methylated spirits_ looks like a light brown transparent crystal _soluble in Shellite_smells acidic_smells oddly sweet almost a cherry like smell..

unidentifiable substance dissolved in shellite and precipitated with HCl acid and poured off.. was left with a substance that is slightly soluble in water with lots of agitation-soluble in methylated spirits with agitation, and held the same smell. Was just now in powder form and not crystal,

If you have any questions that might help as to working out what this stuff is that would be great because I’m stumped, thank you for taking the time to read this

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 07:59:03 AM »
You broke at least 2 forum rules
We only post a given question once on the forum.
We do not discuss drug procedures.
This is a forum policy.
Click on the link near the top center of the forum page.
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting.
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=65859.0

Offline clarkstill

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-4
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 09:05:37 AM »
Not to mention the post is incoherent.

Also, shellite?!?!

Offline Rootuser#matty

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 10:53:22 AM »
You broke at least 2 forum rules
We only post a given question once on the forum.
We do not discuss drug procedures.
This is a forum policy.
Click on the link near the top center of the forum page.
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting.
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=65859.0

Sorry mate, I tried to post it in both the organic and inorganic forums as I am unsure which category it falls under.

As for discussing drug
procedures.

With all due respect, I don’t understand why your accusing me of this.

I’m not trying to discuss drug procedures.

I’m just trying to identify what this substance is, I’m not asking for any info on synthesis or anything of the sort, I’m just asking if anyone can help me identify this substance.

I’m using this task more as a way to get a bit more of an understanding on chemistry. as I learn best by actually trying to do things, rather than in theory, don’t ask why it’s just how my brain works, always has.

I’m taking this seriously as well, I understand how dangerous it can be. If I am thinking about doing a specific reaction or whatever the case may be I will do as much research as possible about it Before going through with it and will not proceed with anything unless I am confident I properly understand what it is I am doing.

And as for the other bloke about me being incoherent, can you please explain as I don’t think I fully understand what you mean, if I have made any mistakes please do correct me like I said in the post, I’m fairly new to all of this however I consider myself to be pretty switched on and a quick learner so don’t worry about it falling on def ears, as for the shellite, I meant to say Naphta, where I’m from it’s called shellite,

Thank you for taking your time to read this

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 11:10:30 AM »
You have mentioned methcathinone, in general we don't discuss drugs here. The policy is a bit more complicated than just "don't mention them", but don't be surprised your post raised some suspicions.

Standard classic organic analysis procedure calls for detecting what elements are present, determining some of the basic physical and chemical properties, and recording spectra. Sorry, but it is not something that we can teach you in a few forum posts.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Rootuser#matty

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 11:42:04 AM »
You have mentioned methcathinone, in general we don't discuss drugs here. The policy is a bit more complicated than just "don't mention them", but don't be surprised your post raised some suspicions.

Standard classic organic analysis procedure calls for detecting what elements are present, determining some of the basic physical and chemical properties, and recording spectra. Sorry, but it is not something that we can teach you in a few forum posts.

Ok cheers mate, I do understand where your coming from, should I take the post down or do I leave that for the moderators.

was just hoping I could get pointed in the right direction, cheers anyway, take care

Sponsored Links