April 25, 2024, 08:17:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What exactly makes something a precipitation reaction?  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Nedgy

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What exactly makes something a precipitation reaction?
« on: November 06, 2019, 01:27:23 PM »
A learnt a definition that said "A precipitation reaction is a type of chemical reaction, in which two soluble salts in an aqueous solution combine and one of the products in an insoluble salt called a precipitate". Thought it was neat, then I was reading an article and it said this was a precipitation reaction:

2AgNO3(aq) + Cu(s) →Cu(NO3)2(aq) + 2Ag(s)

According to the above definition, we need two soluble salts, copper is not a soluble salt (right?) I mean it's solid for one thing and I learnt that a salt is an ionic compound that consists of a cation and an anion which obviously, pure copper is not.

So how exactly can you categorizes something as a precipitation reaction, thank you.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: What exactly makes something a precipitation reaction?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 02:45:19 PM »
I don't like the definition you have listed, whoever coined it lacked imagination. It tries to be precise but narrows the scope. Say, you mix AgNO3 and HCl precipitating AgCl - you haven't mixed two salts, yet this is a perfectly valid example of precipitation reaction. Same when mixing FeCl3 with NaOH, you end with the precipitated Fe(OH)3. Thing that is important is that you mix two solutions and something precipitates out.

I am not sure I would classify the reaction between Ag+ and Cu(s) as a precipitation reaction. You are displacing one solid with another. From what I understand some do classify it this way. As far as I am aware there is no one, generally accepted definition of what the precipitation reaction is and what classifies as one, so probably there is no simple yes/no answer here.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Nedgy

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 03:31:57 PM »
Great answer and I think I understand, I've asked around about it seems that's the consensus is, you can consider something a precipitation reaction if over the course of your chemical reaction, a precipitate was produced, but there's no exclusive set rules so take it with a grain of salt, am I correct in saying that?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 06:36:40 PM »
Great answer and I think I understand, I've asked around about it seems that's the consensus is, you can consider something a precipitation reaction if over the course of your chemical reaction, a precipitate was produced, but there's no exclusive set rules so take it with a grain of salt, am I correct in saying that?

Yes, that's another way of putting it.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links